Wednesday, January 7, 2009

This Week's Book(s) #1

As some of you know, I don't have enough hours in the day. I wish I had more time to read more comics, but life keeps me busy, and the store has plenty of non-comics work I need to do that ties up my time. However, I still want to do timely reviews here. So my goal will be to read two or three books early each week and post some thoughts here. Since I have to be picky I will also mention why it compelled me to check out THAT book.

Also, I'm torn on spoilers. Should I spoil plot points for you to give you more detail and encourage you to check it out? Or should I keep it vague?

Walking Dead #57
What compelled me to read this book: I read every issue, one of few series I do so with any longer.
This book impresses me in its ability to actually move the characters in different directions. Be warned, there's a scene in this book that is compelling and revolting all in one fell swoop. Good stuff.

Punisher #1
What compelled me: I like the Punisher, and it is written by Rick Remender
Not what I expected at all. A 22-page action sequence that, honestly, stretches believability a tad, but hey, it is a comic book! I'll read the next issue, but it will need to explain itself a bit to get me interested after that.

Invincible Iron Man #9
What compelled me: If you're not reading Matt Fraction, you should be. Seriously, one of the better writers out there. Also, #8 was a very enjoyable book, to boot.
Again, not where I expected this to go at all. I think I like it, I want to read the next issue, but really, Tony's actions in the issue are hard to fathom. That said, there's LOTS of foreshadowing that he has a super plan ready to go that will keep things from being too out of hand. We'll see.

No comments: